COMING UP . . .
OSAID Provincial Conference –May 1st to 4th 2003. The registration fee is $225 + 15.75 gst and includes accommodation and all speakers etc! Highlights include Rick Campanelli from Much Music, a boat cruise and dance in Toronto Harbour, a talent night, resources, live DJ, and much more. See their website - http://www.osaid.org/osaid-conference.html for more details.
arrive alive DRIVE SOBER®
- The 2003 campaign will be our 14th annual summer-focused campaign to prevent impaired driving. This year’s sponsors include the Government of Ontario, The Beer Store, the LCBO, Pilot Insurance, Lonesome Pine Studios, Trillium Gift of Life and Spirits Canada. Materials will be available at the end of April and will include the arrive alive passport to safety, posters, mocktail recipe cards, insurance folders and one t-shirt per order! More than 300 groups received materials from us last year. Feel free to place an order if you haven’t already! AND if you are organizing an event, we can post it on our website! – note the date, times, etc on your order form and we’ll add your activities to our list. Go to: https://occid.org/arrivealive/supplies.html
- New involvement this year includes a radio Public Service Announcement with Ed Robertson of BNL and messages with Minister of Transportation Frank Klees, OPP Supt Peter Burns, and a male version of the G2 PSA (“Joanne”) from last year with Alanis Morissette’s Thank You song.
- Samples of materials can be mailed to you if requested
ARRIVE ALIVE BOTTLE DRIVE
- The Beer Store and OCCID are partnering again to raise awareness and funds on Staurday, May 24th. All of last year’s participants are back and new ones - thank you! So far, 225+ stores are signed up, is your community involved? Sign up at our site occid.org
- Materials to promote the day include Tshirts, a radio PSA, flyers and posters. Handouts on the day include keychains, passports and litter bags. Special thanks to The Beer Store for their support on this event and to all the volunteers who have signed up so far!
- Last year $14,000 of the funds raised from the one day event was returned to participating communities to be spent on any sober driving initiative. For more information call , or toll free 1-
Are you looking for ideas for a Safe Grad program? – You’ll find them at any of the following web addresses: www.smartgrad.ca or www.safegrad.com Also – Ottawa Public Health has an awesome CDRom Guide to a Safe Grad available in English and French – contact Nancy Langdon , The LCBO has some initiatives that can be implemented locally for safe proms also http://www.lcbo.com/about/social_resp/safe_proms/index.html
The 9th annual Drive Straight Golf Tournament will be held at King’s Riding in King City on Thursday, August 14th. OCCID will also share information about sober driving at public events including golf tournaments in southern Ontario – and can send materials to tournaments anywhere in Ontario. Acitivites for consideration include hosting an interactive putting competition with ‘fatal vision goggles’; educational materials for each golfer; and if available “Drive Straight” prize items.
NEW MINISTERS IN IMPAIRED DRIVING ISSUE:
In March there was a cabinet shuffle. Here are the new Ministers linked to our issue:
|The Honourable Ernie Eves
Office of the Premier
Fax – 325-7578
Minister of Transportation
Ferguson Block, 3rd Floor
77 Wellesley Street
Fax – 327-9188
Minister of Public Safety and Security
25 Grosvenor Street
Fax – 326-5085
|Timothy Patrick Hudak
Minister of Consumer and Business Services
250 Yonge Street, 35th Floor
Fax – 326-8520
Minister of Health and Long Term Care
80 Grosvenor Street, 10th floor
Fax – 326-1571
|Norman W. Sterling
720 Bay Street
Fax – 326-4016
||For problems concerning our site, please contact our